(strike up the band… ”hallelujah chorus”, please)
i graduated physical therapy and while I am not going to be getting back into insanity right away, i am definitely getting right back into healthy (vegetarian) eating and working out.
since finishing physical therapy, i signed up for a fitness class called My Fit Mommy. We basically do burpees and push-ups and running in a park near my house. one time it even rained while we were doing squats (so of course i felt really B.A.).
(I am the one all the way to the right with my tush in the air. attractive, i know).
I also have been doing a lot of walking/hiking. today me & cam went on a 3 1/2 mile hike. carrying a 25 lb baby up giant hills is NO JOKE.
i also tripped (cam barely woke up) but i am now covered in black&blues as well as physically sore from the hike itself.
time for bed, more updates to come!
March 14th, 2013
oh gosh i have been MIA for days….but honestly its just not fun to write a blog about insanity when im not actually doing insanity!!
however, my back is starting to feel a bit better (my movement has progressed from crawl to hunchback to hobble since last friday) and i am hopeful that i can start lightly exercising again soon and get back into insanity when i am feeling fully healed. wondering if i will start back at day one or where i left off on day eight. today i will try some at-home stretches and i go to physical therapy starting next week.
also, i am still drinking the shakeology every morning because im obsessed. im not saying it tastes like a hot fudge sundae or anything but its good and its filling and it gives me energy all morning.
im thinking my posts will be a little spotty until im back on my feet again because no one wants to read about how my back hurts and how i want to do insanity but i can’t. wah. wah.
today was miserable to tell the truth…
i couldn’t even walk around (it was either a hobble or crawl… yes, literally, crawl) never mind insanity. i was heart-and-soul dedicated to these 60 days and it stinks so much to have it taken away from me.
the only thing i can do is eat healthy, keep drinking my shakeology, and focus on healing so i can get right back on it when i am better.
- M1: Chocolate Banana Shake (scoop of shakeology mixed with 2% milk, 1 tbsp flax, 1/2 banana) **343cals**
- M2: Fudgy peanut butter chip vitatop **100cals**
- M3: Ziti with homemade sauce (crushed tomatoes, olive oil, and basil) with “chicken” **445cals**
- M4: Homemade orange juice (2 naval oranges); 1/8 cup almonds **206cals**
- M5: Pancakes with blackberries and blueberries and pure maple syrup **464cals**
- WO: none **0cals**
- H20: 64oz
1558 net calories.
my doctor’s visit…
today i went to the doctor to find out about my back. unfortunately it is either a really bad muscle sprain or a herniated disk. he said absolutely no more insanity (no surprise, there) and prescribed me three different medications.
i’m so upset…
i’d like to feel in charge of one part of my life, but everything is spinning out of control.
- M1: Mocha Cacao Nib Shake (scoop of shakeology mixed with 8 oz regular coffee, crushed ice, and 1 tbsp cacao nibs) **261cals**
- M2: Deep chocolate Vitatop **100cals**
- M3: Salad with craisins, pears, and white balsamic dressing **242cals**
- M4: Panera (1/2 greek salad, 1/2 grilled cheese, fruit cup) **520cals**
- M5: **0cals**
- WO: none **0cals**
- H20: 64oz
1146 net calories.
now its time to go kick some butt in insanity. with my one working leg.
today was, without question, the worst day of my life, but i’ll just talk about the fitness part of it here…
i think that working out with the pain i had running down my right leg was a bad idea because when i woke up this morning i literally couldn’t put any pressure on it without crying. but dedicated insaniac that i am i tried to do the workout and five minutes in i was sobbing on the floor. the pain was unbearable just to stand… nevermind to jump, run, etc. so i took more medicine hoping i would be able to do the workout later but the medicine never helped enough to enable me to do that. i was literally crawling on the floor because walking hurt so much.
as much as i don’t like to schlep it to the doctor’s (i’d much rather call my best friend for medical advice) unfortuntately i have to go (and it was her medical advice to go. darn it.) so i am going in the morning.
hopefully they will tell me whats wrong and give me something for the pain. i will start insanity back up as soon as i am healed and just add on the extra days to the end. hopefully i can still have a shot at winning this challenge even with having to take a break from the exercise.
i am still going to eat healthy/drink shakeology/dream of when i can start exercising again. i was addicted after doing it five days and it is so frustrating to stop!
- M1: Chocolate Banana Shake (scoop of shakeology mixed with 6 oz water, crushed ice, 1 tbsp flax, 1/2 banana) **261cals**
- M2: 2 eggs, 1/4 cup egg whites, rosemary, 1/4 cup mexican cheese, 1 morningstar “sausage” patty **355cals**
- M3: 1/8 cup cashews, 1/8 cup dried cherries **129cals**
- M4: ciabatta bread, olives, mozzarella, and tomatoes**604cals**
- M5: **0cals**
- WO: insanity cardio power & resistance **-43cals**
- H20: 64oz or maybe less… : (
1349 net calories.
ill update tomorrow after the doctor’s <3
this happens to all of us! even when i was in great shape there was a little voice that tried to tell me i couldn’t do things. so when the voice in my head is being negative, i turn the volume down on it and try to think of something positive. i had a ton of negative thoughts right before i started insanity. i thought “you can’t do this for more than a day or two…. you aren’t fit enough, strong enough….you will NEVER do it for sixty days…. you will quit and eat macaroni and cheese before the first week is over….”. blah blah blah.
because i can do it and, as of today, i have completed the first week. so shut it, negativity. and no, i didn’t have macaroni and cheese. ; )
today was a rest day so not much to report except that i feel a lot better (no more sore throat/congestion!) but can still barely put weight on my poor leg. i am going to pop some ibuprofen before my workout tomorrow and power through. no excuses.
- M1: Mocha Cacao Nib Shake (scoop of shakeology mixed with 6 oz coffee, crushed ice, 1 tbsp organic raw cacao nibs) **237cals**
- M2: 1 cup butternut squash soup with 1 mini whole wheat bagel and 2tbsp whipped cream cheese and rosemary **272cals**
- M3: 2 quorn “chicken” cutlets with shake&bake, 1 cup garlic mashed potatoes, 2 tbsp spicy BBQ sauce **395cals**
- M4: 3 cups steamed broccoli with 1/3 cup shredded mexican cheese **223cals**
- M5: Cappachino protein shake (1 scoop cappachino protein, 1 cup skim milk, and crushed ice in blender) **200cals**
- WO: rest day **-0cals**
- H20: 64oz
1327 net calories…. and my protein shake tasted kind of like the distant cousin of coffee ice cream. twice removed.
Tomorrow I weigh in and start week two! :D
i thought yesterday’s insanity was hard but that was just nonsense.
today my body was really working against me:
- still sick with sore throat, congestion, etc
- cramps from impending t.o.m.
- some sort of a muscle/nerve injury causing me to walk like im riding a horse
the workout was plyometric cardio (what i did day #1) but felt 1,000,000 times more difficult today with all my many issues. anyway, enough about me breathing into the rug like an oxygen mask every five minutes.
clockwise: my PMS demanded cheese so i made a quesadilla with wheat tortillas and fresh salsa, some iced black tea to enjoy while i put a heating pad on my back, and my muffin-baby eating breakfast (bananas & carrots).
- M1: Chocolate Cherry Flax Shake (scoop of shakeology mixed with skim milk, dark cherries, and 1 tbsp flax) **333cals**
- M2: Veggie stirfry with Mrs. Dash teriyaki, “chicken”, and 3/4 cup rice pilaf **354cals**
- M3: 1 mini whole wheat bagel, 2 tbsp whipped cream cheese, & 1 sliced mushroom; 1/8 cup dried cherries **213cals**
- M4: Cheese Quesadilla (2 joseph’s flax&wheat tortillas with 1 cup shredded cheese) and fresh salsa **560cals**
- M5: Spring Greens with buffalo “chicken”, mushrooms, cucumbers, and brianna’s honey dijon dressing; black tea **212cals**
- WO: insanity plyometric cardio **-373cals**
- H20: 64oz
1299 net calories.
i want a cupcake.
despite all obstacles, i pulled through and am so thankful tomorrow is my first rest day. i am going to heat-pack my back and take ibuprofen as per the directions of my best friend and nurse practitioner, stephanie. :D
i hope to be healed friday morning when the insanity resumes.
today was hard.
yesterday i felt kind of crummy but i ignored it and went through my day as normal. this morning i woke up and i no longer could. my throat felt raw and i had a headache, congestion, and a fever. i spent the morning frustrated with my body… why would it choose day five to get sick when i am just getting into this program and so happy with my progress?!
i had a choice. i could skip the workout and be miserable or suck it up for 40 minutes and then spend the rest of the day taking care of myself. i decided to suck it up… i am an insaniac after all ; ). since today’s workout was Pure Cardio I figured my decision was either pure commitment… or pure stupidity.
it ended up being a mixture of both!
the workout was rough— harder than any of the other ones so far. my heart was racing and my body was protesting and i wanted to turn it off and get shaun t out of my living room…. but i just did the best i could. yes i stopped a few times, hunched over and wondering why the heck i wasn’t laying on the couch with tea. but i felt like a superhero when i was done (for once i didn’t let anything get in the way of my workout) and took care of myself the rest of the day.
my insanity workout is non-negotiable. it doesn’t matter how busy, tired, sick, etc i am, i will set aside the hour every day for sixty days and just do it. the beachbody motto is DECIDE, COMMIT, SUCCEED and i have the first two on lock… the last is just around the corner.
- M1: Mocha Shake (scoop of shakeology mixed with skim milk and a few coffee icecubes) **241cals**
- M2: Salad with 1/8 cup dried cherries, 1/8 cup walnuts, and 1 1/2 tbsp honey dijon dressing with 3/4 cup rice pilaf; 1 cup sleepytime tea **437cals**
- M3: Flatout pizza (honey wheat flatout, mushroom, rosemary, marinara, and 1/3 cup shredded cheese) and popped edamame chips **414cals**
- M4: Veggie stirfry with Mrs. Dash teriyaki, “chicken”, and 3/4 cup rice pilaf **354cals**
- M5: 1 mini whole wheat bagel with 2 tbsp chunky peanut butter; cappachino protein shake (1 scoop cappachino protein, skim milk, and cacao nibs) **555cals**
- WO: insanity pure cardio **-337cals**
- H20: 80oz
(After meal 4 i saw i had a massive amount of calories left so i decided to make myself a sweet treat—a cappuccino shake and a peanut butter mini bagel— but then realized i had forgotten to log meal 3. after i had eaten it, of course.)
“pure cardio” = pure fear.
today’s insanity workout was called “cardio recovery” and it was nice because my heart wasn’t beating out of my chest the whole time and it was a little shorter than usual but we did these things called lunge pulses and squat pulses. i thought my legs were on fire and might spontaneously fall off.
in my opinion, “cardio recovery” should mean thirty minutes of child’s pose while Shaun T tells me how awesome I am… and how skinny I’m getting. now that would recover me! lunge pulses, not so much.
- M1: Cherry Coconut Shake (scoop of shakeology mixed with coconut water and 1 cup frozen black cherries) **310cals**
- M2: Roasted Vegetable & Egg White souffle and a naval orange **220cals**
- M3: 1 mini whole wheat bagel, 2 tbsp whipped cream cheese, & 1 sliced mushroom; 1 dark chocolate Zone bar
- M4: 2 “beef” fajitas (sauteed peppers, onions, and “meat” crumbles on a joseph’s fajita with fresh salsa and light sour cream) **536cals**
- M5: 1 cup rice pilaf, 1/8 cup dried cherries, and peppermint tea **214cals**
- WO: insanity cardio recovery **-266cals**
- H20: 64oz
net calories. “where have all the cravingsss goneeee?” (to the tune of “where have all the cowboys gone?”
) no, really! here are some questions i am wondering:
- why am i not sleepwalking to my local cupcake shop and waking up in frosting?
- why have i not demanded a reese’s peanut butter egg in my easter basket every day until easter?
- why am i not desperately scouring the cabinets for a fallen chocolate chip or two?
could it be that i am really leaving my old crazy pregnant ways behind so that i can realize my dream of fitting back into my skinny jeans? by george, yes! also, i am so scared of tomorrows PURE CARDIO that i may pee the bed tonight during my nightmares about it.
today was a super-busy day but just as these things were my priorites…
- clean the house
- host a clothing/toy swap for my mommy group
- take 7 month pictures of cameron
- go to craig’s championship soccer game
- go out to dinner with our family
…so was insanity and eating healthy. i knew i would be having a busy day (filled with delicious temptations like cinnamon rolls and calzones!) and that i would have to stay strong. as hard as today’s workout was, i didn’t give up.
- M1: Mocha Coconut Cacao Nib Shake! (scoop of shakeology mixed with coconut water, a few coffee icecubes, and 1 tbsp cacao nibs) **296cals**
- M2: Homemade pumpkin muffin **160cals**
- M3: Greek salad with a morningstar “chicken” patty
- M4: Bertucci’s… 1 1/2 dinner rolls with oil, 1 cup minestrone soup, 1/2 farmhouse salad (no pepperoni) **766cals**
- M5: **0cals**
- WO: insanity cardio power & resistance **-300cals**
- H20: 64oz
total net calories: 1537.
time for bed, so tired! zzzzzzzzzzz…..
i’ve done two physically hard things now in my life… given birth to a 10lb baby without medication and…. insanity! yes I am putting them in the same category, that’s how hard insanity’s “plyometric cardio” was today!
there were times when i wanted to stop so so badly —but i didn’t— and i was thrilled when i completed it… i was glowing like a sunbeam for hours afterward and wanted to tell strangers that i hadn’t paused it, checked my cell phone, sat down, or turned it off to watch vanderpump rules.
- M1: Coconut Banana Shake! (scoop of shakeology mixed with coconut water and a banana) **325cals**
- M2: Rosemary Egg&Cheese Wrap (1 egg, 1/3 cup egg whites, fresh rosemary, 1/4 cup shredded cheddar in a flatout wrap) and an orange **392cals**
- M3: Homemade baja veggie burger with spicy BBQ sauce and 1/2 cup cottage cheese; chai tea **295cals**
- M4: Greek salad with a morningstar “chicken” patty and 1/3 cup penne alla vodka; Good Greens bar (chocolate) **805cals**
- M5: chocolate vitatop **100cals**
- WO: insanity plyometric cardio **-300cals**
- H20: 72oz
net calories: 1617.
can’t wait to see what tomorrow brings…
today was the first day of insanity! and even though i knew day one was just going to be a twenty-five minute Fit Test i will still shaking in my hot pink socks… and for good reason!
here’s my whathaveigottenmyselfinto?! face right before i took it.
(and there is no picture afterwards, but just imagine… bright red!!)
so, what can i say about the fit test other than it kicked my butt and im not fit… haha. well, we had 8 one-minute exercises and had to do as many as possible.
my fit test results:
- switch kicks: 58
- power jacks: 30
- power knees: 70
- power jumps: 20
- globe jumps: 6
- suicide jumps: 8
- pushup jacks: 15 (girl push-ups!)
- low plank obliques: 38
i can’t wait to see these improve! i’m going to take this fit test again at 30 and 60 days.
and now on to some yummy pictures (i think i had a thing for circular foods today….)
- M1: AB&J Shake! (scoop of shakeology mixed with skim milk, 1 tbsp almond butter, and 3 frozen strawberries) **357cals**
- M2: 3oz teriyaki tofu, 1 cup pureed butternut squash, and 1 tbsp Mrs. Dash teriyaki sauce**288cals**
- M3: 1 mini whole wheat bagel, 2 tbsp whipped cream cheese, 1/8 cup cherries, & 1/8 cup walnuts **299cals**
- M4: Tofu Parmesan with sauce and vegan “cheese” with popped edamame chips **482cals**
- M5: Salad (4 cups baby spinach, cucumbers, red onion, kalamata olives, 1/8 cup shredded mozzarella) **364cals**
- WO: mommy&baby yoga class; insanity fit test **-299cals**
- H20: 80oz
net calories: 1491 calories.
it hurt to walk upstairs to get my jammies on so i have this weird feeling im going to be sore tomorrow…
i thought i would take a picture—and, no, not a flattering wonderfully-angled picture— of myself in pants i can’t physically button for anything (these beauties are size 8)… but that i will rock 1/2way through the challenge and will be too loose by the end of it! (silly amounts of confidence are coming from the fact that i am going to give this 250%).
lord help me. and anyone reading this.
i weighed in and took a ton more before-and-after photos that i will post mid-way through insanity on april first.
and it won’t be an april fool’s joke when these pants button!